Monday, January 19, 2015

Water For Elephants Playlist

Jacob,

I know you have been through a lot lately, and I know you have had a hard time getting through some stuff, here are some of my favorite songs that I think will inspire and help you get through this time in your life.

"Life Keeps Moving" On by Ben Rector
You have been through a lot with your parents and then dropping out of Veterinary School. And then you went and started working with the circus. This song will help you to remember that even when things are bad, life keeps moving on, "here's the truth, life sucks sometimes, when it hurts so bad that you can't go on, life keeps moving on." I know that you need someone to tell you this because you asked, "What am I supposed to do?"(20). And the simple answer to that question would be to keep going, to keep moving on.

"At Last" by Etta James
When you first started working in the circus, you helped set up all the tents and on one of your first days, you saw Marlena. You thought she was beautiful. You were so lonely, you had no one to turn to. Your parents had just died, you dropped out of school and you had no siblings to help you. The song says, "At last, my love has come, my lonely days are over, and life is like a song. You saw her and you fell in love. The first time you saw her you didn't even know how to handle yourself, "When I turn back, the woman is looking at me. Her brow furrowed, as though in recognition. After a few seconds I realize I should smile, or look away, but I can't"(39).

"Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran
This is one of my favorite songs, and it describes your love for Marlena and her love for you. You both care so much for each other but she is married to August. All of you see that he is not a good person, even he sees it. He also sees how much you and Marlena love each other, and that gets the two of you into trouble. But you fell in love with her the first time you saw her. The song says, "Maybe we found love right where we are." And that is exactly how you fell in love with Marlena and how she fell in love with you. The first time you spoke to her you were so self conscience that you were nervous, "'The pleasure is mine' I say, painfully aware that I haven't shaved in two days, my clothes are stiff with manure, and that manure is not the unpleasant scent rising from my body" (72).

"Angel" by Sarah McLachlan
This song reminds me of your love for animals. It makes me think about how much you love the elephant, Rosie. When you see that August hurts her, it kills you. You want her to be treated right and when she doesn't do exactly what August wants her to do for the acts you are scared for her. "August smacks her from behind, and Rosie hurries a few steps forward. When August catches up, he whacks her again, this time hard enough that she raises her trunk, bellows, and scampers sideways" (140). You wish that Rosie didn't have to endure such cruelty which reminds me of the lyrics of this song, "in the arms of an angel fly away from here."

"Runaway" by Ed Sheeran
This song reminds me of the way that you want to be with Marlena but you know you can't because of August. You know they are married and you know that he is one of the meanest people that you've ever met. This song says, "I know what I wanna do, I wanna runaway, runaway with you."  When you start to get to know Marlena, the more you know how much you love her. You wish you could runaway with her and start a new life with her. "We have enough money to get ourselves out of here, but what good is that with nowhere to go?" (314). You love her and you want to do whatever you can to help her.

I hope you're inspired, and I hope this helps you.
    -Liv





1 comment:

  1. Reading this blog alone gives me the impression that Jacob is your average teenage joe. Angst-filled, emotion driven, and most of all hormnally-confus- I mean, 'oppressed'. Loved the blog.

    Sincerely,

    Julie Louis-Dreyfus

    ReplyDelete