Monday, January 19, 2015

Playlist for The Rosie Project

The Rosie Project Playlist

Dear Don Tillman,

I chose some songs for you that I believe you would like because they contribute to Rosie and your feelings towards her. One song I chose is “Say” by John Mayer. I chose this song because you said “But why, why, why can't people just say what they mean?” (1595). In the song “Say” by John Mayer he sings:
Take all your so called problems
Better put them in quotations
Say what you need to say...”
These lyrics connect to what you mentioned about being direct in what you say because the lyrics are about taking what you are thinking and putting them in “quotations”.

In the wife project, you were looking for a perfect wife that is punctual, doesn’t smoke, and is logical. While looking for her, you met Rosie, who is the exact opposite of what you were expecting. After meeting her, you mentioned, “I want to spend my life with you even though it’s totally irrational. And you have short earlobes. Socially and genetically there’s no reason for me to be attracted to you. The only logical conclusion is that I must be in love with you.” (3658) You realized that even though Rosie wasn’t what you thought you wanted, you can't decide who you love. I chose “Who You Love” by John Mayer and Katy Perry because the song says:
My girl's ain't the one that I saw coming
And sometimes I don't know which way to go
And I tried to run before
But I'm not running anymore
'Cause I've fought against it hard enough to know
that you love, who you love”
This song correlates to you because it talks about how you don’t expect to fall in love with someone but it just happens.

You started the wife project because you wanted to find someone to love and start your life with but you realized that you actually wanted someone to love you, “And it dawned on me that I had not designed the questionnaire to find a woman I could accept, but to find someone who might accept me.” (3127) Because of this realization, I chose the song “Give Me Love” by Ed Sheeran
Give me love like never before,”
I chose this song because it's similar to what you said about being accepted by someone and being loved.

Another song I chose for you is “She Is” by the Fray. I believe this song describes your feelings towards Rosie suchlike when you said, “I asked you here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”(3469). In “She Is” the lyrics say:
She is everything I need that I never knew I wanted.”
I chose these lyrics because once you realized, you wanted Rosie, you wanted your life with her to start as fast it could.



The last song for your play list is “No One Like You” by Best Coast. In this song the lyrics say the same thing as the lyrics in the title:
Cuz there's no one like you,
No one like you
This song describes the moment when you first saw Rosie and your friend Claudia said, “you have to be prepared to accept them as they are. Maybe you hope that one day they get a wake-up call and make the changes for their own reasons.”(3199). What she meant by this, is that when you love someone and there is no one else like them, you have to accept them as they are.


I hope you've enjoyed the playlist I've made for you, and hope it helps you deal with your feelings towards Rosie.


Sincerely,
Your friend



5 comments:

  1. That is so confusing^ This sounds like a interesting book, and I really how you explained the quotes from the book and the songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty sure Mr/Ms.Your is a fictional person, and that Trevor is using Verbal Irony to get his point across. If not, I have no idea what he's referring to.

      Delete