Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Son of the Mob

Adrian Partridge
Pre-Ap English 1
5th Hour
Mrs. Whitman

Son of the Mob Song Analysis
          The book Son of the Mob is a story between a relationship of a son of a Mobster and a daughter of an FBI agent. Vince Lucas' father, Anthony Luca, is the king of the Mob in New York. Clearly, Vince didn’t like the idea of being a mobster because all he wants to have is a normal life. Alex, Vince’s friend, is eager to help him find love because his life lives through Vince’s love life. On the first chapter, Vince is on a date with Angela O’Bannon that will eventually turn into a disastrous moment of his love life; at first things were going smoothly between them but then Angela and Vince finds an unconscious body inside Vince’s car. Angela was so afraid of Vince’s secret life and so then they broke up. But as the story goes on, Vince suddenly meets a girl named Kendra; although Vince knows that Kendra’s father is the FBI agent who tries to bring his father to jail and Kendra doesn't have a clue about this. Their relationship with each other grew as they go out on dates and make out. However Kendra then finds out about Vince’s secret life…


Song: “Demons” by Imagine Dragons
          In Son of the Mob Vince expresses, “As usual, an experience that is pure bliss for most people ends up being just plain complicated for me. I’m juggling Alex with one hand while trying to navigate so that I never end up in the same room with Agent Bite-Me. Then there are the Lucas, who can’t find out about this relationship either. It’s nerve-racking!” (90). In this quote, Vince is trying to keep his relationship with Kendra a secret because he doesn't want Kendra’s father to find about it and he also doesn't want his own family to be entangled into their relationship. Here is a song called “Demons” by Imagine Dragons:
“I wanna hide the truth
I wanna shelter you
But with the beast inside
There’s nowhere we can hide…”
          Each of these lines has meanings in its own; the first line describes Vince that he wants to hide the truth from Kendra about his real life. The second to third line means that Vince wants to love Kendra but with Vince’s horrific life of being involved in his dad’s mob organization, his relationship with Kendra will never get anywhere even if he hides the truth.


Song: “Disclosure Latch” by Sam Smith
          When Vince and Kendra go out for a date, Vince conveys “I see her legs first, longer than I remember, moving down the sidewalk. She comes into view from south to north: miniskirt, top, etcetera. By the time her face appears, I’m craning my neck like a construction worker. Kendra is one of those low-maintenance girls who always manage to look good with almost no effort. For her, doing her hair means toweling it dry. I've never seen her like this before, dressed up, [and] made up, hair up. She’s so –up!" (192). A good song that matches this situation is a song called "Disclosure Latch" by Sam smith:
“I’m so encaptured, got me wrapped up in your touch (never)
Feel so enamored, hold me tight within your clutch (never)
How do you do it, you got me losing every breath (never)
What did you give me to make my heart bleed out my chest (never)?”
As Vince sees Kendra’s stunning beauty, he feels so proud and great; to him he feels close enough to Kendra.

Song: “The one That I Want” by Lo-Fang
          “’I don’t care who your father is!’” she breathes into my mouth.
          “‘I don’t’ care who your father is!’” I breathe back.
           Unbelievable. Turns out Kendra thinks we’re some kind of cops-and-robber Romeo and Juliet- star-crossed lover from families that are mortal enemies. And I’m not much for locker-room talk, but I’ve got to say that it ratchets up the intensity level of our relationship about five-hundred percent” (166). In this situation, Kendra founds out about Vince’s dad’s true identity; Vince was thunderstruck when he heard about this from Kendra. Only he finds out that Kendra doesn't care of who his father is, this is the same to Vince. A song that would likely fit in this situation is “The one That I Want” by Lo-Fang:
“I got chills they're multiplying
And I'm losing control
‘Cause the power you're supplying
It's electrifying…”

Song: “Money on my mind” by Sam Smith
          “’You’re a loan shark,’” she accuses me.
          “’What?!’”
          “’There’s evidence! The FBI-my father-they've got pictures of you taking money from people! That sleazy guy from the parking lot, for one!’” (200). In this situation, Kendra finds out that Vince has been working with his dad’s followers. However, Vince is just trying to help them out because their on the edge of their lives and that he cares more about Kendra and not with his dad’s organization. A song that would fit with this is “Money on my mind” by Sam Smith:
“Please don't get me wrong
I wanna keep it moving
I know what that requires
I'm not foolish
Please, can you make this work for me?
‘Cause I'm not a puppet, I will work against your strings…”

Song: “I bet my life” by Imagine Dragons
          “It’s after school and we’re in my Mazda, Alex at the wheel. I’m too distraught to drive. I've got the passenger seat in full recline, so I’m flat on my back, staring up at the sky trough my leaky sunroof. The clouds are dark and lowering, just like my mood. A K-Bytes cassette plays on the tape deck, and every note from that throaty voice is like a piece of shrapnel in my abdomen” (203). Vince is depressed in this scene because Kendra found out about the truth! But listen to the whole song because it connects to the ending of the book! This song is called “I bet my life” by Imagine Dragons:
“I know I took the path that you would never want for me
I know I let you down, didn't I?
So many sleepless nights where you were waiting up on me
Well I'm just a slave unto the night…”
          This song describes Vince because he wants to bet his life on Kendra rather than being in his dad’s mob organization.






1 comment: