Monday, January 19, 2015

Playlist Assignment: Into The Wild

                                       
I choose this song by Sublime because I felt like it showed your side of carelessness and disregard of money. In this song Bradley Nowell says " I had a million dollars but I I spent it all".I feel like this relates to the you because you being and eccentric and independent person traveling across the country rarely do you rely on money to accomplish goals but instead on the relationships you make. " If you don't take it I am going to throw it away". (pg 7)





 I choose the song "hurt" by Johnny Cash not just because its one of the best songs ever recorded but because it shows the effect that your absence and death had on his family. Johnny cash in this song says " Everyone I know goes away in the end". For your family it was hard for them not getting to see their son for over two years but when the news of your death arose they were more than upset they were heartbroken. “As she studies the pictures, she breaks down from time to time, weeping as only a mother who has outlived a child can weep, betraying a sense of loss so huge and irreparable that the mind balks at taking its measure". (pg 132)


The next song I choose was "what a wonderful world" by Louis Armstrong. I choose this sing purely To show your love of the world and the people in it. Every person you meet you made an immediate impression on them of a fun loving, independent, Hardworking young man that you are. Louis Armstrong in this song said " I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do" And it immediately reminds me of how many relationships you makes throughout the book and the people you impact along the way. " It was a different story with Alex. He was the hardest worker I've ever seen". (pg 18)



I choose The song " Not the same"  by Ben Folds because it really relates to how you spent so much time away from people and how it really changed you. In the end you spent over 100 days in the alaskan wilderness without contact to anyone and eventually met your death. After living alone for over five years you realized how much he really missed his family and how he took them for granted. In this song ben folds says "you were not the same after that" and you weren't  In some of your last words you write " Happiness only real when shared".(pg 189)





The last song I choose was "Everybody Hurts" by REM I choose this because even in your last hours you stayed positive and appreciated life and everything it has done for you. REM says in this song "Everybody hurts sometimes, so hold on" and that is what you did even though he knew it was your time you embraced it writing in your last words "I have had a happy life and thank the lord. Goodbye and may god bless all".(pg199)










2 comments:

  1. Scout you never fail to disappoint me. Rather than going the 'archetype' route of explanatory context, you decided to convey the ideals of a "hero/heroine who wishes to save everyone, but in the end, they couldn't save themselves". Kudos to you Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you took a line from each song and explained how the character relates to it. Your explanation of "What a Wonderful World" was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete