Monday, January 19, 2015

Playlist Assignment

The Culling by Steven Dos Santos

Lucky,
     After everything that happened in the trials, I figured (since I'm horrible at trying to actually comfort people) I'd recommended some music.


     The song "My Love Will Never Die" by Hozier is about someone who is so in love with someone else that no matter what has happened or what will happen their "love will never die." It might be kinda soon to bring this up but Digory loves you. He loves you more than anything. Even up until the last moments in the Trial he did everything he could to prove his love to you. "I love you, Lucky." (389)


     The song "Drag Me To The Grave" by Black Veil Brides (I know the title doesn't sound like a song you'd enjoy after everything that happened in the trials, but I promise the message of the song isn't what the title makes it out to be.) is about overcoming struggles. The song repeatedly says, "I won't let these demons drag me to the grave." Not only did you have to overcome struggles during the Trials, but also before the Trials during training. You were, no offense intended, not the most fit of the five competitors but you came out of training as well-prepared, if not more well-prepared, than your competitors. You, as well as the others, overcame the challenges of almost dying. "We can barely contain our whoops and hollers. We did it. Together." (151)


     Your love for your brother is so strong you're willing to do anything to keep him safe. "Nothing's going to hurt you, Cole. I won't let it." (2) You risked your life the day before Recruitment to try to keep yourself from having to choose Cole as an Incentive. Not only that, you were willing to do whatever it took during the Trials to keep Cole from being harmed. The song "Crown of Thorns" by Black Veil Brides talks about how someone will do whatever it takes to help others. It says, "I'll give you my life and my pride to live through tonight" and "I will walk through hell, in these words I've fell, straight into your arms with this crown of thorns."


     I'm not sure if this kind of music is really your thing, but it reminded me of you and Digory. The song is "The Sinner" by Memphis May Fire. I know it killed you to try to seperate yourself from Digory before the Trials and during some of the Trials. '“As noble as your intentions may be, I don’t need you feeling sorry for me. You need to do what’s in your own best interest from this point on, Digory.” I pause and draw strength to spit out the rest. “That’s what I’ll be doing.”' (361) I also know that without Digory you may not have made it through some of the Trials. A few Trials in, both you and Digory relied heavily on each other. The line "Keep me close, Keep me close, Keep my head above water, I need to hear your voice, I can't do this on my own" in the song makes me think of the two of you.


     Like I said, I'm not sure if this music is your style but it's a good song. This song, "The Victim" by Memphis May Fire, is all about being betrayed and how if you could go back you'd change what happened. Lines like "You killed the trust, All of the trust I put in you" express the betrayal and pain I would imagine you felt when Cassius did what he did. He betrayed your trust and then tried to say that he was doing what he was doing to help you. "He's been right all along. He warned me against trusting Cassius, and I didn’t listen." (89)

     I hope you enjoy the music, and I'm sorry there's not more I can do to help.  -Skylar


   

4 comments:

  1. This is a quite intriguing blog, except the title; Skylar, this blog mentions nothing about Alligator 'Culling'. When 'Caiman' into this blog, I was very surprised. This blog wasn't 'Lolong' as I thought, quite "Dwarf" I must say. Some of the words were "Sobek" that I couldn't understand; "Morelet" downs I just can't stand.


    And now I just wasted your time by using irrelevant Gator puns to describe your wonderful playlist (P.S., The Sinner's volume also killed me due to my outdated speakers, *sigh*. If only I could a"Florida" new PC. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciated this Play List for my novel, THE CULLING and I'm sure Lucky would, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete