Monday, January 19, 2015

Sound track for Paper Towns



Dear Producer Johnson,

            I understand that you are looking for a soundtrack for Paper Towns, by John Green. I have chosen five songs that I think could greatly improve the movie. I think that you will that these songs highlight the major points in the book with both the lyrics and the mood of the songs.

            My first song selection is “Sandstorm” by Darude. I am recommending this song for the night that Margo and Quentin prank the people. “Sandstorm” has a repeating phrase that builds throughout the song. This song gives off a youthful energy in, perfect for the pranking scenes. However, this song does not have any lyrics. I know we usually try to pick songs that have lyrics to be playing in the background, but I think that for this circumstance, it would be better without. Because this song doesn’t have lyrics, it builds more to a climax in the song, and also it would be easier to edit it in the movie. In the book Quentin says, “My heart is really pounding”, to which Margo replies, “That’s how you know you’re having fun”. This song has a pulsing beat that is almost like a heart beat. It would be the perfect song to play in the background as they are carrying out the pranks.

            My second song selection is “May Angels Lead You In” by Jimmy Eat World. This song is about a man that feels guilty because he didn’t get to tell someone things he always wanted to tell him or her. “May Angels Lead You In” is inspired by the days to follow after the night of pranks, when Margo goes missing. The mood of this song is one of great regret and somberness. In the song the man says, “You gave us some place to go. I never said thank you for that. I thought I might get one more chance.” And later in the song, “I never said thank you for that, and now I’ll never get the chance.” The lyrics of this song explain the night of fun Margo gave Quentin and the emotions that Quentin feels once he hears that she has left. In Paper Towns Quentin says, “Something about all of it made the possibility of her being lastingly missing well up in me for the first time. I felt the worry start to snatch at my breath when I finished talking.” This song would be perfect for the movie because it captures the emotions that are left behind when Margo leaves.

            My third song selection is “I wont give up”, by Jason Mraz. This song is about a promise someone gave that they won’t give up on him or her. The middle section of the book inspired my choice, when Quentin is looking for Margo and has a certain dedication to her to not give up. The mood of this song is dedicated, which describes how Quentin feels about finding Margo. In the song the man says, “I wont give up on us. Even if the shy gets rough. I’m giving you all my love. I’m still looking up.” The lyrics of the song show how Quentin has been in love with Margo since a young age, and because of that he has a dedicated mindset to find her. In the book Quentin says, “Maybe this time she wanted to be found, and be found by me.” This song would fit well into the movie playlist because it encompasses the emotions that Quentin feels when he is on his quest to find Margo.

            My fourth song selection is “Someone like you” by Adele. This song is a woman singing about a relationship that she never really had, but now she really wants it. This song is depicts the part of the book after Quentin, Lacy, Ben, and Radar find Margo. From the song, “ I hate to turn up out the blue uninvited, but I couldn’t stay away, I couldn’t fight it. I had hoped you’d see my face and that you’d be reminded that for me, it isn’t over”. These song lyrics describe the moment that Quentin and the gang burst in on Margo, unexpected. The mood of this song is somber and wistful. In the book, Margo says, “Where do you get off showing up here without any kind of warning?!” This song describes the emotions felt by Margo when she realizes that they have come after her.

            My last song selection is “The Time (Dirty Bit)” by the Black Eyed Peas. When I found this song, I had an idea. There are three main parts to this song, the riff on the Bill Medleys original song (the time of my life), the instrumental “Dirty Bit” part, and then the rap. I think that we should use the first and second parts. When the riff is playing, they could be having separate flashbacks to their favorite times with one another. And during the instrumental part, it could show them leaving and heading out into their own lives. In the song a man and a woman take turns singing the main line, “Now I’ve had the time of my life, and I’ve never felt this way before. And I swear, it’s the truth, and I owe it all to you…” This is perfect because when the man is singing Quentin could flashback about Margo, and when the girl is singing, Margo could flashback about Quentin. In the book, the very last line is, “Yes, I can see her almost perfectly in this cracked darkness”. This line emphasizes the fact that with Margo in his life, it truly has been the time of his life.

            Thank you for reading this. I hope this is what you are looking for in the movie. If there is any other changes you want me to make, or any questions let me know.

                                                                                                            Thanks,
Julia D’Orazio 

2 comments:

  1. Great job of relating the quotes and lyrics! I thought it was very interesting that you chose to pick a song without lyrics but you explained it very well.

    ReplyDelete