Monday, January 19, 2015

Playlist Assignment- Girl Online (Penny)


Penny,

I know it must still make you uneasy to go on planes after your car accident a while back but I thought the song "Moving to New York" by The Wombats would make your situation seem a bit more fun and enjoyable. I think that this is the perfect song to get you pumped up to see Noah when you go and visit him because it is just so upbeat and even easy to dance to. It also kind of reminded me about some of your past experiences in New York with Noah. A lyric from this song that I think you can really relate to is, "I put one foot forward and ended up thirty yards back". When you first met Noah you didn't put up an act, you were just being yourself but then when you got home and things with your blog turned for the worst, it felt like you had to put up an act again. "All the strength I'd built up while I was away begins to dissolve"(282).

First love, as cliché as it may sound, can feel almost like riding a rollercoaster. It's exciting but it also has its ups and downs and it can make you feel like you're on top of the world. The song "Tightrope" by Walk the Moon kind of reminds me of what it's like to feel that way about someone. One of my favorite lyrics from the song is, "Easy now, with my heart" because when you're young and innocent, it feels as if you need to keep your heart safe with child-like gloves because it's so easy to break. This really reminds me of how you feel about Noah and even how Noah feels about you. "Then as he reaches past me to turn the light on, his hand brushes against mine. And although it's the slightest of touches, like throwing a pebble into a pond, the tingling it causes ripples throughout my entire body" (160).

Another great song to listen to when you might be feeling anxious about something is "Ready to Go (Get Me Out of My Mind)" by Panic! at the Disco. One lyric from the song, "You've got these little things/That you've been running from", reminds me of how you sometimes over think the small stuff. This song can help you realize that it's okay to have fun and that you need to be confident in yourself. No matter what, you should never look down on yourself, be the best version of you. I know sometimes you can struggle with that but this song could potentially make you feel better about yourself. "Of course, as soon as I get to the beach, my newfound confidence begins to slip" (54).

"Holding On To You" by twenty one pilots is a fantastic song as well. The lyric, "Time is slowing and it's frozen still, /And the window sill looks really nice, right?" reminds me of when you sat looking out your hotel room's window overlooking New York City, thinking about Noah. It's great to hold on to memories and while you're making those memories, it's almost as if time stands still. You're time with Noah felt unreal, almost like a dream where your regular everyday life didn't exist, only your life with Noah. "It's that for the first time ever I feel as if my life is my own-that I'm in charge of my own destiny. I'm no longer just reacting to what everyone else does or says" (181).

 

Finally, one of my all time favorite songs, "Young Volcanoes" by Fall Out Boy. This song really makes me feel happy and full of life. It is so upbeat and positive and you can help but tap your feet when you listen to it. The lyric "We are wild, we are like young volcanoes" reminds me of the spontaneous nature between you and Noah. When you're out with Noah, you feel braver to try things you wouldn't normally be confident enough to try by yourself like going on midnight picnics, going to abandoned art galleries, and even wandering around an unfamiliar city like Brooklyn. "I shake my head and laugh. This kind of thing just doesn't happen to me" (123).
I really hope you enjoy this playlist!
Sincerely,
Katie Consiglio
Girl Online by Zoe Sugg
 

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the KC, looks like Penny just needs to ignite her sixth "cents".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you chose the song to fit the character; and in your explanations you described Penny well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the book but these songs make it seem like the character Penney is being expressed well through these songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a really good job of giving an example from the book for each song. I also liked how you used songs that you like to listen to.

    ReplyDelete