Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Maze Runner


The Maze Runner is the story of a group of boys living in an unknown location, and their journey to break free. This dystopian novel written by James Dashner, captures thousands of imaginations as we follow the story of a 16-year-old boy named Thomas. Between the intriguing plot line, and Dashner’s unique style, this is a quick read for many.

Dashner’s choice of words is impeccable. He has a uniquely dramatic and suspenseful style. Through out the first few chapters, he builds the drama with his setting. When Thomas first arrives in the Glade, he describes how, “They stood in a vast courtyard several times the size of a football field, surrounded by four enormous walls made of gray stone and covered in spots with thick ivy”(21). Dashner doesn’t reveal the setting of the Glade, until the very end, when we find out it is a science experiment. By holding back on this detail and not telling the readers, it builds suspense, which adds to his dramatic style. Also, he shows his unique style through his dialogue. When the team comes to rescue them from the scientists, a man says, “We don’t have time to explain. Just follow me and run like your life depends on it. Because it does.” This quote is very dramatic, and leaves the reader in suspense, wondering what will happen next.

I read this book the weekend I got it. It was an amazing book. I haven’t gotten the chance to read the next book, The Scorch Trials, but I really want to. I would recommend this book to anyone any day! In fact, because of my positive remarks, my mother is going to read it! There were so many great parts in this book, I don’t know where to begin. But probably my favorite part, is when Thomas figures out that the maze is spelling letters to them, and forms the plan to enter the Griever hole and end the simulation. This book is very powerful, just like many dystopian novels, because it makes you stop and think about the future, and what till happen. In Thomas’s case, the government stole the Gladers away from their families at a young age, to put them through many tests, including the maze, to try to solve a problem outside the huge walls of the maze. After reading this book, I thought about how lucky I was that I live in a democratic, free nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment