Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Taken by Storm by Angela Morrison

I read Taken by Storm by Angela Morrison. Angela Morrison writes with a narrative style. I did not admire her style because it was very confusing. There were two main characters in this story and it was told in both of their points of view. The chapters were switched between Michael's dive log and Leesie's poems and chat rooms. The author writes about the relationship between Michael and Leesie throughout the book. The author writes, "He needs me the worst at night, and I'm useless. He should dump me and find someone who can give him what he needs." The author shows how Leesie constantly reflects on how she is dealing with Michael's issues. This is one of the main problems that Leesie deals with, she tries to help Michael with his depression after his parents dies, but she doesn't feel that she is doing the right things.

One of my favorite parts in this novel is when Michael leaves Leesie in the barn after he ends everything with her. In Taken by Storm, Angela Morrison writes, "The rag is a river now, coursing all through me. 'I thought you were my ally-but come to find out you're the puppet master. No wonder you dissed my trip.' My efficient free-dive-trained heart races out of control." That night, Michael decided to give Leesie a gift of a weekend teaching her how to dive, but Leesie doesn't accept it because of her religious rules. Leesie then tells Michael that she told his grandmother about his problems and she made her get him help. Michael never wanted help in the first place, so Leesie knew she shouldn't tell him. When she did, Michael was outraged and decided to not be with her anymore. The author showed the power that Michael had during this scene. It showed that Leesie knew she shouldn't have said anything and when she did, Michael left and he didn't come back.

I would not recommend this book because it is very confusing and the author does not have a clear climax in this book. The story is told in two different points of view on a relationship. There are many situations in the book but there is not one that is fully focused on. Taken by Storm is a romantic but confusing novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment