Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Novel Summary, "Above" by Isla Morley

  The book I read was, "Above" by Isla Morley. This book was very interesting and kept my attention.  This author has her very own style, in which she keeps you guessing. The style she uses is very twisted. I admire her style because it is very interesting and never fails to surprise. She accomplishes her style through many different techniques.
 
  "Dobbs, the Taker Away of Things. Waste products, sunlight, the shape of a child."(Morley 102. This quote from the book shows how she uses diction and syntax to create her own style. In this particular she creates imagery of a man who is horrible and in a way robs people of their things. It also portrays him as a man who takes away peoples only ray of hope, even if it is a child.  There is point in the book where a character is unexpectedly confronted about lying. In this part of the book it creates a thrill, because the reader doesn't know how the character found out that his mom was lying. "Who was here before me?"(Morley171). This quote is in the moment when Adam confronts his mother about lying to him. "I am my parents' age now, but I have my grandmother's hands. It is her graying hair I have to braid each day."(Morley 171). This quote from the book creates really strong imagery. It gives the. Reader a good idea of what she actually looks like at this stage in her life.

  I would recommend this book to others. I would reccomend this book because it is very interesting. If you liked "Divergent" then you would enjoy this. It has many twists and turns and can not at all be predicted. It is a fs read once you start and is very enjoyable.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment