Friday, February 27, 2015

the pregancy project

 I'm currently reading the book, The Pregnancy Project by Gaby Rodriguez. She is telling the story of her big senior project that caused lots of controversy throughout her family, school, community, and most of the United States. She claims that the comments people make about her won't bother her and that she'll make sure she passes with flying colors, however when her experience starts, she discovers that it's way harder than what she really thought.
Rodriguez creates lots of suspense throughout the novel. One way she created a suspenseful mood was by waiting until the very end of the chapter to tell us what the big project was going to be. " That's what I wanted: to find an opportunity for growth, both for me and for the people around me..... That's when the idea came to me.. I would fake a pregnancy" (76 -77). Rodriguez stretched the chapter out, and led us to believe she would do something ordinary and simple, but in reality wanted us to think that, to only tell us she was doing something much more.
Another part of the book where the mood was suspenseful was when she was trying to get her project approved. She knew what she wanted to say and what she wanted to get across to the vice superintendent. She had already did it once for Mr. Greene and another for Ms. Le Ann Straehle. What was one more time going to hurt? " He and Mr.Cerna sat across from me, and they grilled me about my idea and my intentions. I tried to be prepared for anything they threw my way" (93). She was unsure of how the meeting was going to go. She didn't know if Mr.Cerna was going to take her project to the main super intendant or not. She didn't know anything. Rodriguez  was as surprised as me, the reader when Mr.Cerna and Mr.Greene signed off on her project. " It was really happening now " (95).
Now, that she's gotten her project and approved and she's okay to start on it, it's all suspense once again. How will the project turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment